A History of the Book Review Through Its Fonts
On the 125th anniversary of the Book Review, we look back at some of our earliest flourishes, curlicues, flowers and scrolls.
By Tina Jordan
The editors of the Book Review, which was founded in 1896, liked to tinker with its appearance in its early years. Although photos already appeared in other parts of the paper, these came only later to the Book Review. The publication turned instead to typography — some of it quite fanciful — to set its distinctive-looking pages apart.
The Book Review’s logo changed as its name did. First it was called The New York Times Saturday Review of Books and Art; then it became The Saturday Review. In 1911, when publication moved from Saturday to Sunday with the hopes that it would “be read with more thoughtful attention . . . when the subscriber is free from the cares and demands of weekday vocations,” it was called The New York Times Review of Books. It was only in 1922, when a brief merger with The New York Times Magazine ended, that it became known as The New York Times Book Review.
MAY 21, 1898
APRIL 10, 1909
JUNE 8, 1901
JAN. 1, 1898
MAY 21, 1898
NOV. 21, 1908
Tina Jordan is the deputy editor of the Book Review and author of a book celebrating its 125th anniversary, to be published in the fall.
Follow New York Times Books on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, sign up for our newsletter or our literary calendar. And listen to us on the Book Review podcast.
Site Information Navigation
Source: Read Full Article