Martin Roberts' horrifying health scare left him 'hours from death'

‘I’m so lucky to be here’: Martin Roberts says he has ‘got another shot’ at life and is planning to spend more time with family after horrifying health scare left him ‘hours from death’

  • The presenter, 58, was rushed to A&E last month following chest pains and he says he’s grateful to be alive after his body started to shut down
  • He revealed on Friday: ‘My heart was giving up, my kidneys and liver were 30%, my lungs were weak. I’m so very lucky to be here. I’ve got another shot’
  • The star now plans to spend as much time with his family as possible but decided to downplay the situation to his children, Scott, 14, and 12-year-old Megan

Homes Under The Hammer’s Martin Roberts says he’s grateful to be alive after a terrifying health scare left him ‘hours from death’ as his body started to shut down.

The presenter, 58, was rushed to A&E last month following chest pains, with the star revealing on Friday: ‘My heart was giving up, my kidneys and liver were 30%, my lungs were weak. I’m so very lucky to be here.’

Doctors plunged an eight inch syringe into his chest to drain fluid from around his heart while he was still awake, and Martin now plans to spend as much time with his family as possible.

Shocker: Homes Under The Hammer’s Martin Roberts, 58, says he’s grateful to be alive after a terrifying health scare left him ‘hours from death’ as his body started to shut down 

Martin admitted he has decided to downplay the situation to his children, Scott, 14, and 12-year-old Megan, as he wanted them to see him as ‘invincible’. 

The star, who is married to wife Kirsty, 53, told The Sun he was terrified he would not be able to see his children reach important milestones, telling the publication: ‘Kirsty told the kids I was seriously ill and they knew I wasn’t well.

‘But we did downplay just how close to not being around I came. I wanted them to think I’m invincible. Every parent wants their kids to think that about them but we have had chats about what happened to me and I’ve already booked loads of things I want to do with them both.

‘I thought in hospital about not being around to see Scott pass his driving test or Megan do her GCSEs so having been given another shot, I want to make more memories with them.’

Horror: He was rushed to A&E last month following chest pains, with the star revealing on Friday: ‘ My heart was giving up, my kidneys and liver were 30%, my lungs were weak’

Martin promised he is going to take things slowly from now on, saying he’s made it 19 years presenting Homes Under The Hammer and he wants to reach his 20th anniversary on the show next May.  

He was rushed to hospital in Bath last month with ‘hours to live’ and had an operation following his chest pains.

Doctors plunged an eight inch syringe into his chest while he was still awake after he was found to have an excess of water around his heart that was preventing it from pumping correctly.

He previously told Ok! Magazine: ‘I watched as they drew out syringe after syringe after syringe of this liquid. 

‘I was awake for this, but I was bit woozy. There was a tube that went in through my chest cavity, down into the sack around my heart.’

They then pulled the fluid out and squirted it into ‘a plastic beaker’.

‘In the end there was about a litre and a half of stuff they took out. In my case, it turns to something called a cardiac tamponade, which is where it fills rapidly and starts strangling the heart. And that’s… that’s the killer. It can result in death.’

 

Speaking out: The TV star took to Twitter to share a video explaining what had happened last month, captioning the post: ‘So. Bit of a shocker. Thankfully I’m here to tell the tale…’

Martin said he started to feel unwell over Easter Bank Holiday and feared he was suffering a heart attack before being taken to hospital by his wife Kirsty.

He told The Sun that by the time he reached hospital he was unable to fill in any forms as he was hallucinating.

The screen star said there was a four hour wait at A&E but he was whisked in by a nurse within 45 seconds.

The broadcaster says the ordeal has given him a new outlook on life, with the star saying he’s focusing on what’s important now and will be slowing down going forward.

The former I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out of Here! campmate thanked ‘god and angels’ on social media last month after coming round from his operation.

Taking to Twitter to share a video explaining what had happened this week, he captioned the post: ‘So. Bit of a shocker. Thankfully I’m here to tell the tale…’ 

Martin said: ‘Well, I have to say this isn’t where I expected to be watching Homes Under The Hammer.

‘Little bit of good news, little bit of bad news. I ended up in hospital in Bath yesterday.

Unexpected: Martin said: ‘Well, I have to say this isn’t where I expected to be watching Homes Under the Hammer,’ as he shared a shot of his hospital bed

‘I had a few chest pains and just feeling generally lousy, so I was brought in here and turns out I had a massive amount of fluid all around my heart, which was actually stopping my heart working.

‘Had they not got rid of it, which they did in an emergency operation last night, then it’s sort of quite serious, like, hours to live kind of c**p.

‘So here I am, still around, thank goodness, thank god and angels, all those things.’

He continued: ‘There’s lots of other complicated things that have happened as a result, but we will work through those, and I’ll keep you updated.

Health woes: The presenter (pictured with the series’ original presenter Lucy Alexander) had ‘fluid around the heart’ and had just ‘hours to live’

‘Meanwhile, there’s a good TV show on that I think I’ll watch here.’

Just weeks earlier Martin took part in a two-day ‘mercy dash’ to drive supplies to Ukraine in March.

Updating fans on social media, Martin looked exhausted as he admitted to having just a few hours’ sleep as he prepared for the second leg of his journey, a 13 to 16 hour drive across Germany and Poland. 

He revealed that he was going to drive a car packed full of supplies across Europe to help those affected by Putin’s attacks on Ukraine.  

In a short clip, the tired star asked fans for song choices to get him through the long drive and said he was fuelled on ‘wine gums and lots of Red Bull’ but that he felt a a ‘massive responsibility’ to safely deliver the supplies to the Ukraine/Poland border.

He has since told The Sun he is pleased he did not fall ill with his heart condition while on the mission.

Martin said he did not want to imagine what could have happened if he had become unwell on the roadside in Poland or at the Ukraine border. 

Doing good: It comes after he updated fans on the progress of his two-day ‘mercy dash’ to drive supplies to Ukraine in March

Source: Read Full Article