The Bachelor's Rachael Kirkconnell consulted women of color on the show before she wrote apology for 'racist' behavior
BACHELOR’s Rachael Kirkconnell sought advice from women of color on the show before writing an apology for past “racist” behavior, an insider told The Sun.
Following weeks of outrage for attending an “Old South” plantation party in 2018 and engaging in controversial social media activity, the Georgia native broke her silence yesterday.
After she posted a statement on her Instagram late Thursday, the 24-year-old graphic designer was met with skeptics that Bachelor execs actually wrote the apology.
However, a source close to the brunette beauty exclusively told The Sun that it was indeed Rachael’s words.
“Rachael wrote her statement by herself. She wrote it last week and she finished it on Sunday.
“A lot of people assume ABC did it, but PR had nothing to do with it,” the insider revealed.
The informant said Rachael “did talk to women of color on the show about it” ahead of posting publicly for advice on some wording.
According to the source, the ladies of Matt James’ season “support” their friend.
ABC originally rejected her statement but “allowed” her to release it following the mass backlash for host Chris Harrison after “defending racist behavior.”
“The contestants this season came together for a statement of unity against Chris and ABC.
“Once the ladies sent the joint statement in and requested permission for everyone to post it, ABC knew that they had to allow it or they would come off even worse,” a production source claimed.
They then explained: “But they also knew they needed Rachael to say something first since she was also going to post that statement.
“So they did give her last minute permission to post her apology. They were basically backed into a corner and knew they had to let Rachael finally speak out.”
The insider added that “ABC also specifically required a written statement, Rachael was not allowed to record a video or go live.”
Yesterday, Rachael broke her silence after resurfaced pictures exposed "racist" conduct and a series of controversial social media activity.
She wrote: “While there have been rumors circulating, there have also been truths that have come to light that I need to address.
"I hear you, and I’m here to say I was wrong. At one point, I didn’t recognize how offensive and racist my actions were, but that doesn’t excuse them.”
She continued in the lengthy Instagram apology: “My age or when it happened does not excuse anything.
"They are not acceptable or okay in any sense. I was ignorant, but my ignorance was racist.”
Minutes later, nearly EVERY Matt James contestant rallied together to denounce Chris Harrison’s “defense of racist behavior.”
Chris, 49, asked fans to show “compassion” for Rachael, 24, during an awkward interview with interview with former Bachelorette Rachel Lindsay – the first Black lead in franchise history.
Following his comments, fans demanded the longtime host be fired and 25 women from the current season rallied together to denounce the hosts’ stance in a joint statement.
“We are the women of Bachelor Season 25. Twenty-five women who identify as BIPOC were cast on this historic season that was meant to represent change.
“We are deeply disappointed and want to make it clear that we denounce any defense of racism.
“Any defense of racist behavior denies the lived and continued experiences of BIPOC individuals. These experiences are not to be exploited or tokenized,” the group said.
Source: Read Full Article